The Math Department at Rancho Pico Junior High strives to develop confident math students. Our students are offered a sequential program that stresses conceptual understanding, procedural fluency, and problem solving. Higher-order critical thinking skills are introduced in all math classes to stimulate student interest and participation.
All math classes at Rancho Pico follow the Common Core Standards and focus on the Standards for Mathematical Practice listed below.
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically
- Attend to precision
- Look for and make use of structure
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning